703 West Broadway Avenue
Maryville, TN 37801
Worship Services @ NPPC
9:00 a.m. FirstLight
11:05 a.m. Traditional
Adult Education Offerings
Click here to see an article from the Presbyterian Today about "Growing In Faith Through Lifelong Learning."
Click here to see the latest Adult Education E-newsletter.
Adult Education Opportunities
NPPC currently offers six adult Sunday school classes. All classes meet on Sunday morning at 10 a.m., in the following locations:
- Disciples - The Disciples class studies the four Revised Common Lectionary texts for the current Sunday with a focus on the context of the passages, the implications of the original Hebrew and Greek languages, the history of how these passages have been interpreted by the church over the centuries, and some questions designed to lead us into insights and appreciation for these scriptures. This class, which is currently using the Feasting on the Word curriculum, is led by class member and meets in Eastminster Hall. Contact: Margaret Kidd
- Faith and Culture - The Faith and Culture class seeks to examine and reflect on the meaning of Christian faith in an increasingly complex and diverse world. Through discussions of contemporary theologies, recent developments in biblical scholarship, current ethical issues, and other topics involving the intersection of culture and faith, members of the class explore ways to maintain a faith that is relevant, vital and meaningful in the modern world. This class meets in Room 109, in the rear of the library. This class is currently reading finishing Toxic Charity, their next book is Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by JD Vance. Contact: Bill Savell or Teal Willoughby
- Seekers of Seven - The Seekers cover a wide range of topics from the study of Scripture to books on theology, faith, and Christian responses to current issues. The class is taught by members and is primarily discussion based. The Seekers of Seven adult Sunday school class is using Being Reformed text The Spirituality of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Next up is Embracing Emergence Christianity Participant's Workbook: Phyllis Tickle on the Church's Next Rummage Sale Paperback. Contact: Terry Bunde
- Pathfinders - The Pathfinders is a group of mostly 20-40-somethings which enjoys a conversation/discussion format, often focusing on the relationship between Christian teachings and scripture, and current issues. They are finishing Brian McLaren’s book, We Make The Road By Walking and plan to start unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity...and Why It Matters by David Kinnaman in October. Contact: Tyler Johnson or Lelia Rogers
- The Rest of Us - The Rest of Us class is a diverse group of adults-single, married, young children at home, grandchildren, lifelong Presbyterians, new Presbyterians, and those still seeking. They are currently led by Walt Greene and Bill Schult, and are using The Present Word curriculum. Through discussion and study the class seeks to develop a faith that is active in our world. This class meets in Room 206 on the third floor of the main building. Contact: Denny Moore
- Seekers of Seven – The Seekers cover a wide range of topics from the study of Scripture to books on theology, faith, and Christian responses to current issues. The class is taught by members and is primarily discussion based. The Seekers of Seven adult Sunday school class is using Being Reformed text "The Spirituality of Dietrich Bonhoeffer." next up Embracing Emergence Christianity Participant's Workbook: Phyllis Tickle on the Church's Next Rummage Sale Paperback. Contact: Terry Bunde
- If you would like more information about any of our classes or adult education opportunities please contact Melanie Rasnake (Melanie@newprovidencepres.org, 983-0182) or Anne Van Pelt, Adult Ed committee team leader (email@example.com).
Men's Revised Common Lectionary Study*
- Monday Morning at 7:30 a.m. at Vienna Coffee House (321 High St.) with Steve Musick.
Women's Study Group
- Second and Fourth Mondays at 7 p.m. in the youth room
- Women’s study group with Melanie Rasnake and Emily Anderson in the youth room.
Men's Bible Study during the Men's Witnessing Square
- Second and Fourth Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. in the youth room
New Prov U
- Second Wednesday at 11:30 a.m.
- New Providence University-for those 55 and older or anyone interested in attending. Speakers on a variety of informative topics. NPU meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from September to May in Westminster Hall. Lunch is served at 11:30 for $6 to be followed by a program from 12-1.
Revised Common Lectionary Study*
- Wednesday at 4 p.m. with Steve Musick at Shannondale.
Womens' Circle Bible Studies
- First Thursday at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. or 7 p.m.
* The Lectionary study follows the lectionary study from the PC(USA)
, which cover the Bible in a three-year cycle. Each week, there is suggested scripture for the pastor to use as a sermon topic. Each class studies those scriptures a week in advance to be better prepared for the Sunday service.