New Providence Presbyterian Church - Maryville, TN
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
The New Providence Presbyterian Church Pipe Organ
by Edwin J. Best, Jr., Nov. 9, 2011
On September 15, 1954 a contract to build the New Providence Presbyterian Church organ was made with the Casavant Organ Company of St. Hyacinthe, Province of Quebec, Canada. This Canadian firm was established in 1837 by Joseph Casavant, who was succeeded by his two sons in 1879 and continues operations today.
Specifications were worked out especially for this sanctuary by the church organ committee and the organ representative. The organ was assembled, set up, and finally tested in the factory in St. Hyacinthe.
The organ is comprised of about 3,000 pipes of varying sizes, 30,000 large and small mechanical parts, a five horsepower blower, percussive harp, and Chimes. The pipes range in length from 1/8 inch to 16 feet. Some of the longest are mitered (angled) to fit into the chambers.
The organ has 3 manuals and pedal plus 39 ranks of pipes. These pipes are of wood, zinc, lead, and an alloy of tin-lead-antimony. The organ chamber is located to the right of the Chancel when looking up from the congregations’ perspective.
The organ dedication took place at worship on Sunday, November 6, 1955.
An organ dedicatory recital took place Sunday, April 15, 1956. It was sponsored by New Providence Presbyterian Church and the Knoxville Chapter, American Guild of Organists. Claudia Carter was the recitalist, and the organist at New Providence from 1952 to 1964.