John 316 (J30) Outreach Mission
Did you know that there are families in crisis that live just a block away from our church? Do you have a desire to be the “hands and feet” of Christ by helping these folks? John 316 Outreach (J3O) is a non-profit ecumenical organization that seeks to share God’s amazing love by serving families in crisis in our community.
Established in 2010, this organization works with volunteers from churches and businesses throughout our community to help families through various programs and activities that include Saturday Mini-Mission Workdays, J3O Community Closet (located at NPPC), ChristmasWish (formerly ROCStars), READ Me AGAIN (re-cycling gently used books and magazines to families), J3O home repair activities and distributing gently used (donated) furniture and appliances to families in crisis in our community.
Watch for opportunities to participate with the following activities or contact Chris Combs (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
John 316 (J3O) MISSION ACTIVITIES
- MiniMission Saturdays- Looking for an opportunity to do local mission work? Join us for J3O MiniMission Saturdays. Activities vary for each workday, and include everything from organizing and stocking the J3O community closet, preparing bookmarks for recycled books, distributing books, and magazines to Maryville Housing Authority residents, to home repairs and yard cleanup. Check the bulletin and newsletter for dates, times and activities.
- Home Repairs- Know your way around tools? Have a few in your trunk “just in case” you might need them? Join volunteers from other churches and businesses as we go into the community and help remedy unsafe living conditions for families in crisis. Watch for dates and opportunities to help!
- SHARE THE HARVEST- Here’s an opportunity to help restock the John 316 (J3O) Community Closet with household items for families in crisis in our community. Choose a “leaf” off the tree, purchase the item, and return it to the church. Volunteers will stock the closet for use by our partner organizations (Family Resource Centers, Good Neighbors, Haven House, Family Promise, Heaven Sent Home and the Pregnancy Resource Center). Dates to be announced-watch the bulletin and newsletter.
- ChristmasWishes (formerly ROCSTARS)-help make a child’s Christmas wishes come true! Stars will be available in mid-November!
- ChristmasWishes Workshop- Eastminster Hall will be “Santa’s workshop” for inventorying all of the gifts donated by churches and local businesses for approximately 400 children. There are lots of opportunities to volunteer and the gift sorting begins December 2 and goes through December 10 ( a schedule will be posted later). Plan to help us as we work to make a child’s wishes come true!
- Christmas Wishes Celebration- All the sorting and packing is done…now it’s time to celebrate with the families! NPPC will host a Christmas party for approximately 100 Maryville and Blount County children and their families on Thursday December 12, 2013 from 4-7:30pm in Westminster Hall. There will be crafts, food, music and a devotional. There are many volunteer opportunities- setup, cleanup, helping with crafts, decorating cup cakes, face painting, singing, gift distribution, greeting and fellowship. ALL ABOARD!! Be sure to mark this date on your calendar-and watch for more information.
- Special Delivery!!! Not an organizer or administrator, but good with reindeer and a sled? We need folks to help collect gifts from local churches and businesses for ChristmasWishes and bring them to the church for sorting. A vehicle, a couple of hours, and a HO HO HO are all that’s required to help!
- SQUEEKY CLEAN-purchase personal hygiene items using our SQUEEKY CLEAN list. Return them to the J3O Community Closet and volunteers will package “personal hygiene bags” for use by all of the Community Closet clients.
- READ ME AGAIN-do you have gently used children’s books, magazines (home and garden, home repair, cooking or reader’s digest) that can be recycled for our clients and their families? Watch for an opportunity to donate these items!
- J3OHomeStuff-if you have gently used household furniture or appliances, we can find a new home for them! Give us a call and we will arrange a convenient time for pickup and delivery to a “new home”. If you would be willing to help with pickups and deliveries, we welcome your Volunteer Spirit!